Elective Courses (Additional Activities)
Some of you might be interested in experiencing various cultural activities in Japan in addition to learning Japanese. We, at NILS, aim to provide such opportunities and hope you take advantage of them.
* Please note that our tuition does not include any fees associated with your extra curricular activities. You will need to be responsible for paying the fees as well as the transportation expenses.
This is a skill you cannot easily learn outside Japan. You will be taught the basics first but you can move on to the advanced level as your technique improves. You will enjoy the added advantage of speaking Japanese to your Japanese classmates.
Calligraphy Class – Master Ikeda
- The first, second and third Tuesday of the month 14:00 to 16:00
- Enrollment fee and supplies $90, Monthly tuition $55
- The first, second and third Tuesday of the month, the second and fourth Friday of the month 14:00 to 16:00
- Enrollment fee and supplies $90, Monthly tuition $85
Pottery is one of the most celebrated traditional crafts in Japan. By shaping clay with your hands, you can create plates, teacups, or bowls and bake them in a large kiln. Since it takes between a month and a month and a half, this activity is recommended for those of you who plan on staying in Japan for more than 2 months.
Pottery Class – Aka Piman (Red Pepper)
You can pick up your pottery approximately one month after your session.
- Weekdays 11:00 to 13:00, 14:00 to 16:00, and 18:30-20:30
- $25 per session
- Weekdays 11:00 to 16:30, 18:30 to 21:00; Saturdays/Sundays/Holidays 11:00 to 18:30
- Enrollment fee $50/Monthly tuition $80/Separate fees for supplies
(Individual fees will vary depending on the number of items.)
This is a great way to learn Japanese home cooking. Lessons include how to take advantage of the seasonal ingredients and how to filet fish.
Furukawa Cooking School
- Wednesday 10:30 to 12:30 or 13:00, Wednesday 19:30 to 21:30 or 22:00
- Monthly tuition $120
Nowadays, karate is wide spread throughout the world. You can probably take karate lessons in your home country. Whether you have some experience or none at all, you are welcome to join this club.
- Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday 20:00 to 21:30, Tuesday and Thursday 20:30 to 22:00
- Enrollment fee $90, Uniform $90, Annual fee $90, Insurance $35,
Monthly tuition $75
* You can attend as many classes as you wish.
You will definitely enjoy traditional Japanese flower arrangement called ikebana. Ikebana literally means to give flowers life, so flowers should be arranged as if they are still living harmoniously in nature. Japanese flower arrangement is characterized by a harmony of simple linear construction. It also places great emphasis on the subtle beauty of flowers and other natural meterials.
Matsushita Ikebana School
- After 15:00 *They will update lesson days and time every week.
Free for international students. *You need US$4 for flowers per lesson.