NILS Fukuoka Times

Today's Phrase

Work Permit


Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under he Status of Residence Previously Granted[1]

If you entered Japan with a student visa, you are technically not allowed to work, but with this permission, you are allowed to work part-time.

To obtain this permission:

  1. When you enter Japan, you submit the Application for Permission to Engage in Activity other than that Permitted under the Status of Residence Previously Granted, or
  2. Apply for the permission after your arrival and when you find part-time employment.


We recommend option #1 since option #2 takes time even if you find your part-time job. A NILS staff will email you the form after you are approved for the Certificate of Eligibility.

Please adhere to the following guidelines to ensure that you abide by immigration laws. Otherwise, you may not be able to renew for an extension of stay or be deported.[2]


  1. Hours of Employment: You are allowed to work 28 hours per week regardless of the number of employers.
  2. During Long Breaks: During the spring or summer breaks, you are allowed to work 8 hours per day.


There are a number of part-time jobs available nearby the Ogori Campus like lunchbox assembly plants, other food processing plants, and distribution centers. If your Japanese improves, you may also be able to find employment in convenience stores, bars, or restaurants. Hourly wages range from 800 yen to 1,000 yen. If you work late at night, the wage may be higher than 1,000 yen, but please do not overextend yourself as your main purpose of staying in Japan is to study.



[1] Even with your Permission, it is not always advisable to work right away. Unless you have basic conversational skills in Japanese, you may encounter difficulty in the workplace.  To prevent any trouble, NILS administers a “part-time employment” test on students wishing to work part-time. This test is to ensure that a student has the basic proficiencies in Japanese required to obtain part-time work. For those who pass the test, NILS will help look for employment. If you do not pass this test, you can be tested again. For those who pass the JLPT or the J.Test, NAT-Test, this requirement is exempt.

[2] If you are enrolled in the Short-Term Course, you are not allowed to work or to extend your stay.




Please feel free to contact us from here. If you have questions about the school.