Do I have opportunities to meet Japanese people except NILS teachers?

Yes, we conduct regular field trips to museums, shrines, etc. for you to use Japanese outside our classrooms. Our school also has established a partnership with the Ogori International Exchange Association, and we participate in a variety of cultural events as part of the regular activities. They include summer festivals, rice-cake making, friendship parties, etc. In addition, we host a joint Christmas party with our group high school, Hitotsuba High School. We believe NILS provides a lot more opportunities to meet outside Japanese residents than average Japanese language schools.

Am I allowed to do a part time job?

If you have a pre-college visa, after receiving “Permission to Engage in Activities Outside the Scope of the Visa” from the Immigration Authority, then you will be eligible to work for up to 4 hours per day. It is not possible to receive this permission soon after entering school. Following entry on a student visa, you may apply for this permission and a test, if you pass the test given by school one month later.

Can I work part time while attending NILS programs?

[Full-time Intensive program]
Yes, you are permitted to work part time after you obtain a work permit issued by the Immigration Bureau of Japan. You can apply for the permit at the time of entry into Japan. With a student visa, you are permitted to work for a period not exceeding 28 hours a week during a semester, and for a period not exceeding 8 hours a day while you are on a long-term vacation.
[Short-Term Program]
No, you are prohibited from working in Japan on a short-stay visa.

How much do I need for living expenses?

You will need US$600-700 for living expenses such as meals, utilities (water, gas, electricity, cell phone), and miscellaneous.

Compare the cost of living in Japan:

Average Tokyo Area Osaka Area Fukuoka Area
(89,000 yen)
(102,000 yen)
(85,000 yen)
(72,000 yen)

The above fee includes monthly rent, meals, utilities, medical and other personal expenses.

Are dormitories available?

Yes. Dormitories are located near the Ogori campus with 2 to 3 bedrooms, a dining/kitchen area and a bathroom.
Each bedroom is well-furnished with desk, chair, bed, bed linens, small shelf, and air conditioner. There is no internet connection provided in the dormitory, but students can set one up by making a contract with one of the private internet service providers (for intensive program students only).

How much travel time should I allow from a Leo-Palace apartment to the school?

[Full-time Intensive program]
Leo-Palace private apartments are everywhere in the city. We try to arrange your apartment near the school.
If the apartment is located in Ogori City, it takes about 10 minutes by bicycle.
Otherwise, it can take one hour by train.

[Short-Term Program]
It takes about 15-30 minutes by train.

Can I choose a non-smoking family? Is internet access also available?

Yes, you can. You are required to submit to us the Home-stay Application Form.
We will arrange for a host family according to your needs regarding matters of smoking, pets, allergies, meals (for example, vegetarian) and children.
The school will arrange for a family with wireless internet access in their home.