What do the NILS graduates do?

Most of our graduates go on to college or vocational schools. Those who choose to return to their home countries also find meaningful employment utilizing their Japanese language skills. Some of our graduates go to Japanese colleges, and upon graduation, find employment with Japanese corporations. Typically, those college bound students are enrolled in our 18-month or 24-month programs. However, it depends on your proficiency in Japanese. Please inquire at our guidance department.

How can I select the best college for me?

We advise that you find out what you would like to do in the future or which fields of studies attract you the most. We at NILS consider each and every student’s proficiency and his/her areas of interest when we provide college/career guidance. This includes helping students with each step of the college application process.

If you are interested in moving on to college, our college guidance counselors and homeroom teachers provide guidance regularly: at the beginning of the NILS program, as you move up to the next level, before the summer break, and at the beginning of the 2nd semester.

Can you give me an example of college guidance?

In addition to college counseling at NILS, we accompany our students to various college fairs where a number of colleges conduct information sessions. Our students also attend open campus days at nearby colleges. We recommend you take advantage of these opportunities to find out more about your area of interest. We also provide workshops on interviews, completing applications, etc. We cover it all.

How can I prepare myself to apply for college in Japan?

Whether you are applying for college or a vocational school, the biggest factors are your Japanese proficiency and attendance record. If you wish to go to college, try to score the N1-2 level in the Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)*. For vocational students, we recommend the N2 level of proficiency. It’s best to decide which schools to apply to by the summer and submit applications in the fall.

* The Japanese-Language Proficiency Test (JLPT) started in 1984 as a test to measure and certify the Japanese-language proficiency of those whose native language is not Japanese. It has five levels: N1, N2, N3, N4 and N5. The easiest level is N5.

Can I get a diploma when I complete my program at NILS?

You will be awarded a Certificate of Completion when you complete your course. If you are enrolled in one of our Full-Time Intensive Programs (12 months or longer) and graduate in March, you will receive a diploma. However, this diploma is not the same as getting a bachelor’s degree from college or a professional degree from a vocational school.

Can I find employment in Japan after graduating from NILS?

You have to meet the following requirements in order for you to find employment in Japan and to apply for a working visa. The Immigration Bureau will make the final decision.

  1.  You have a college degree from your home country.
  2.  You already have a contract with your employer.

Even if you do not have a college degree from your home country, you can still meet the requirements if you receive a degree from college or a vocational school in Japan.

Is my attendance record important?

Yes, whether you apply for college or an extension of stay in Japan, the attendance record is considered very important. If your attendance record falls below 80%, you may not extend your stay or change your status. On the other hand, if your attendance record is excellent, you may be able to take advantage of a guaranteed admission slot to college and perhaps receive some scholarship. We, at NILS, take your attendance record seriously. If your monthly attendance record is below 80%, we request a written explanation from you. If you continue to miss school despite repeated calls, you may be expelled from the school.